Speaking in Mr. Johnson’s Class
One of the most fun parts of Modify is the ability to meet our customers. They come from all over the place – different countries, different cultures, different skill sets, different passions … We have always called customers our “ModiFamily“. We think of everyone we interact with as part of our larger community, our family. If you have followed the business for any length of time you know that our customers vote on what we design, and that the ModiFamily’s voice is as present as any one of Modify’s employees.
Well, sometimes we’re lucky enough to interact with the ModiFamily on a deeper level. This past week Aaron had the opportunity to speak in Mr. Johnson’s 6th grade class. You can follow Mr. Johnson on Twitter account here (note, if you have kids, it’s a great one).
Was it a little like a 1984-Big-Brother or some other setup where there’s a really big-headed person on a screen talking at folks? Kinda. But this wasn’t your ordinary 6th grade class – they didn’t just sit there, they came prepared! Below is a list of questions sent in advance
- Why watches? Was it the watch or was it just a product line where you saw an opportunity?
- Do you think your company’s watches are expensive?
- Did you know spiders are our friend? They eat bugs more harmful bugs and keep insect populations down.
- What was so difficult about making your product? Was it the interchangeability part?
- Mr Johnson is always telling us failure is important and that it’s natural to fail. Is he just putting us on?
- What modify combination is your favorite?
- What is your favorite kind of donut?
- What is your hometown?
Note: I didn’t discuss gluten-intolerance as relates to donuts.
Note 2: Spiders are the worst
As the session went on, a bunch of these 12 year olds – 12!! – went to the camera and asked more direct, strategic questions about our business. Well done Mr. Johnson. These kids are amazing – thanks for helping mold our future leaders. And thank you for the honor of meeting them!