Mod-to-Order: design your own custom Modify Watches! Now on Kickstarter.
Mod-to-Order: design your own custom Modify Watches!
DESIGN CUSTOM & PERSONALIZED MODIFY WATCHES!
- Upload any image or graphic you want on your watch face
- Pick from 30+ straps to mix-and-match
- We build a custom, made-to-order watch just for YOU
Hello! We’re Team Modify, a 3-year-old, San Francisco-based startup. We collaborate with our community or “ModiFamily” to build fun, colorful products they love.
We’re thrilled about “Mod-to-Order”. Our vision is to let you put any design, photo or graphic on one of our watches – fully custom, modular style for all. And after a few years in business… we’re close. Mod-to-Order is for you, and can only happen with your help.
For 3 years we’ve partnered with fans to design dope, limited-edition watches with mix-and-match faces and straps. We’ve also had a ton (like, billions) of people ask to design or create their own.
Outside of a handful of reeeeally determined fans, only big companies, non-profits and major retailers have been able to afford to create custom Modify Watches. Mod-to-Order is our opportunity to change that.
We want to raise $50,000 to help source materials, expand our space and hire locally to bring printing and assembly to the U.S. This will be a HUGE shift in our business, and we’re here to ask for your help to build the infrastructure and make our vision a reality.
Check out the following sections to learn more about our project:
- The Video. Haven’t seen it? Click here! Seen it already? Watch it again!
- What is a “Mod”?
- Why Mod-to-Order? (And why we are convinced you’ll want one)
- How Mod-to-Order will Work
- What will we do with $50,000? Sneak preview: spend it (well)!
- Unbelievably Awesome Rewards
Or visit our website to learn more and build limited-edition wrist candy.
WHAT IS A MOD?
This is a Modify Watch (aka a “Mod”). We call our watches Mods because they are modular: our mix-and-match faces and straps allow you to create any look you want. Each Mod also has a name (say “hi”).
Mods are affordable and come in 3,000+ colorful combinations. The more pieces you have, the more combinations: 1 face x 1 strap = 1 Mod; 3 faces x 3 straps = 9 Mods!
Our audience of 30,000+ votes on designs they want produced, allowing us to introduce designs we believe our ModiFamily will love.
Then we produce our Mods overseas, and that means high minimums (we need to manufacture at least 300 of each design), long lead times and huge costs which makes one-off customization impossible.
Our vision is not to build our designs… it’s to let all ModiFamily members design the watch of their dreams. We’re calling it “Mod-to-Order” – our super clever take on “made-to-order”. We want to help anyone who wants to design a fully custom / bespoke / one-of-a-kind / personalized watch to do just that.
We think of Mods as a storytelling device. Am I feeling colorful? Conservative? Sporty? With our watches, you can show your colors on a daily basis.
But, and this is a BIG BUT, we’ve never been able to deliver one-off, 100% gen-u-ine, unique designs for you. Mod-to-Order is our chance to finally reach that vision.
Our fans have asked for it. And we think you, your friends, your team or your company might want one (or six!) of the following:
- Drawings your kids did
- Pictures of loved ones, pets or enemies (always good to keep them close)
- Gifts for your startup or bowling pals, highlighting your brand, team name or logo
- Artwork you’ve created which you want to see on a new canvas
- Private-label designs for your brand or retail store to resell
- Commemorative imagery to capture a perfect moment in time (um, wedding?)
- Fundraising tools for non-profits
- Clever ideas like your face… on a watch face (!!!)
- Pretty much anything. Though we don’t recommend designs with your Social Security number, PIN or mother’s maiden name.
MOD-TO-ORDER IS THE FUTURE
We’ve been lucky enough to work with some awesome brands like Google, SurveyMonkey, Riot Games and Nike to design custom watches, and they love their wrist candy. However, not everyone can afford to design 300+ custom watches.
We’re inspired by SUPER fans such as Brandon Ortwein, who actually took a watch apart, painted on his own design and put it back together to create a custom Mod.
Our minds? Blown, by the thousands who submit their own artwork or vote on specific designs.
The ModiFamily has spoken, and we hope to introduce Mod-to-Order as the way to make personalized designs accessible to our entire community.
HOW MOD-TO-ORDER WILL WORK
Here’s the plan kids, from your idea to you wearing the watch.
WHAT WILL WE DO WITH $50,000?
We’ve been planning Mod-to-Order for quite some time (18 months to be exact). We need $50,000 to turn our vision into reality, but can only get there with your support!
The funds raised from this campaign will go towards:
- Component parts: Watches aren’t made out of thin air… yet. Until that day comes, we’ll need to source all of our components for Mod-to-Order — plenty of scratch-resistant cases, water-tight seals, watch hands and of course high-quality movements, which is industry lingo for “the things that keep ‘em tickin’”
- A new website: 10001010101010101. Sorry, that was a technical joke. For us to put your designs on a watch, we need to make it easy for you to send us those designs.
- Printing capability: We’re not talking about hand-painted designs or your run-of-the-mill desk jet; we’ll need a commercial-grade, high-resolution printer to make your watches pristine! We’ve been testing all types of printers to varying degrees of success, and need to figure out the best, most cost-effective way to do this.
- Expanded space for assembly: Assembling these bad boys the right way isn’t easy. We’ll need a clean space that’s dust free (aka nowhere near Aaron’s desk).
- Finally, we’ll be hiring folks in the U.S. for printing / assembly. We’ve created 8 full-time jobs so far, and are excited to expand our reach.
UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME REWARDS
Get more details on all the rewards here.
Pledge just $25 or more and pick from 1 of these fan-designed watch faces to pair with a limited-edition Kickstarter green strap and black strap. Note, we’re currently hosting a fan design competition on our Facebook page, so go vote on the design you want us to make!
Or scoop up loyal-TEE, that’s code for the dope, one-of-a-kind Modify t-shirt that will only be designed should we reach our goal.
Pledge $49 or more to get your very own custom Mod-to-Order watch face!
Major League Baseball and Major League Soccer watches?? YERP, we’ve got licenses, but no watches available… yet. Pledge $95 or more to help us make MLB and MLS team watches a reality through Mod-to-Order. Pick your favorite team(s) — we can even make you Men’s and Women’s US National Team watches before World Cup — and we’ll design and print a watch for you to mix-and-match with four “home” and “away” straps!
Select any of the reward tiers featuring straps, or pledge $12 or more to pick from 30+ strap colors including limited-edition Kickstarter Green!
This is the next phase for Modify, and as we like to say, “you can’t spell Modify without Y-O-U”… or was it, “only you can help keep us ‘ticking’?”
It’s taken a few years to get this close: Aaron has even become super-gray. But our team is incredibly hungry to deliver on our original vision.
So, please help us make this type of personalization available to all those who want it! Mod-to-Order will make sure the world knows your story, whether it’s (quiet) or LOUD.
THANKS FOR CHECKING OUT OUR PAGE. WE (REALLY) APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT ☺